With little industry, the county lives mostly of agriculture, and its wines and fruits (namely pears) are well known.
Although the county was only established in 1914, the history of Bombarral is far more remote, as can be seen by the archaeological findings of the caves of Lapa do Suão and of Pulga and the ancient forts of São Mamede and Carvalhal (the Archaeological Station of Columbeira is worth visiting).
In the 14th century, Bombarral was an estate belonging to the Cistercian monks of the Alcobaça Monastery, and they exercised great influence in the methods and techniques used in the agricultural activities that dominate the region.
Vineyards, orchards, loiça artística
(decorated crockery) and works in wicker, wood and wire are part of the county's «business card», but Bombarral has other sites of interest, such as the Church of Madre de Deus
, the Chapel of Saint Brás, the Palace of Gorjões (Municipal Museum) and fine manorial houses such as the Solar dos Loridos
and the Solar dos Mellos
For those who arrive by train, the railway station is enchanting, with its rich decorated tiles that portray the region's art of cultivating vineyards and the making of the wine.
The importance of this product is well demonstrated at the Wine Festival, which attracts thousands of visitors to Bombarral, but the more recent Feira da Pêra Rocha
(where the local variety of pear reigns) has also become an unexpected success.