Portugal | Mountains | Vila Real | Murça | Español | Français | Português | Maps | Pictures | Restaurants

Murça



Choose a county
Alijó
Boticas
Chaves
Mesão Frio
Mondim de Basto
Montalegre
Murça
Peso da Régua
Ribeira de Pena
Sabrosa
Santa Marta de Penaguião
Valpaços
Vila Pouca de Aguiar
Vila Real
| Pensions and Boarding Houses (1) |

The town of Murça is specially known for the Porca, a granite female pig dating from the Iron Age and which was probably linked to fertility cults. It stands at the garden of the main square, with an impressive girth of 2,8 metres, a height of 1,10m and a little more than 1,85m long.

Once inhabited by the Romans and then dominated by the Arabs, the town was given its charter by king Sancho II in 1224.

It is worth admiring the magnificent pillory in front of the Town Hall, which was once a convent of Beneditine nuns and stands near the Mother Church, built between 1707 and 1734. The façade of the Miserichord Church is equally interesting.

The town is proud of its great manors, such as the Solar dos Margadinhos and that of the Counts of Murça.

The county lies between what is known as the terra fria (cold land) and the terra quente (warm land) and is crossed by the river Tinhela. Its production of olive oil and wine is quite important.

At Candedo, the river Tinalha meets the Tua, forming turbulent currents and the panorama is always impressive.

Murça is also known for its honey, goat cheese and sausages.

| Pensions and Boarding Houses (1) |
Google

© 1997-2023 Guia de Viagens Portugal Travel & Hotels Guide | Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Contact